Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Acts 7: The Martyrdom of Stephen


To me, Stephen's last words were beautiful, and somehow they were exactly what I needed to hear today. He touched my heart even hundreds of years after his death. It just proves that the truth rings true forever. 

To summarize his last words: Stephen was being persecuted by the nonbelievers and they were beginning to stone him. He said he saw the heavens open and he saw Christ on the right hand of God. The people did NOT agree. They got so angry, but Stephen (an apostle of God) stood by the truth and bore testimony by asking Jesus to receive his spirit. His very last words were the ones that touched me the most. "Lord, lay not this sin to their charge." The ultimate forgiveness and mercy. He was a true follower of Christ.


I think about how hard it is for me to forgive wrongs against me. I try to forgive, but I tend to hold grudges, and I am trying to be better. However, if someone were in the midst of murdering me I definitely do not think I would be so ready to forgive. But my heart melts with the Spirit when I see people like Stephen so ready to forgive, especially with such a serious offense. 


Another thing that impressed me about this section of scriptures was that in verse 55 it bares witness of the Godhead; Holy Ghost, God, and Christ as three separate entities. It reads "But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God." Tell me, how can you stand on the right hand of God if you are God? Two separate beings! And then Stephen was filled with the Holy Ghost at the same time he was seeing God and Christ; you need the Holy Ghost to be able to witness the Glory of God and His son Jesus Christ.  

Stephen's death reminds me of Abinadi's death in The Book of Mormon. Mosiah 17:7-20 is the account of this story. They were both persecuted for testifying of the Lord, Jesus Christ. The difference, though, is Abinadi was burned to death by faggots (cigarettes), and Stephen was stoned to death. They both also were rebuking the people for their non-belief right before they died. They both asked God to receive them, and I have no doubt that they were received with warm greetings. 

These apostles' testimonies remind me that I need to be better at defending my Savior. He saved us all...if we let Him, that is. Why shouldn't everyone know about it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment