Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Women to Admire: Harriet Tubman

Happy Black History Month! I thought it would be fitting to honor a person of color for the month of February. In 8th grade I did a report on Harriet Tubman and ever since I have admired her. She was an amazing woman.


Harriet Tubman lived through slavery, but when she was a girl she got hit so badly that she suffered from sleeping spells the rest of her life. It was a constant challenge to deal with, but she carried on with her duties every day the best she could.

There are a few things that have impressed me the most about Harriet. I never knew she was a religious person before reading more about her from her contemporaries. They say she had a sort of prophesying power being able to accomplish and do the things she did...especially pertaining to her great work for the Underground Railroad. There is no exact number for how many people she was able to lead to the free land of the North, but it is believed to be around 300. Her mission to rescue people began when she set foot on free land. She said:

I looked at my hands...to see if I was de same person now I was free. Dere was such a glory ober eberything, de sun came like gold trou de trees, and ober de fields, and I felt like I was in heaven...

So it was wid me. I had crossed de line of which I had so long been dreaming. I was free; but dere was no one to welcome me to de land of freedom, I was a stranger in a strange land, and my home after all was down in de old cabin quarter wid de ole folks, and my brudders and sisters. But to dis solemn resolution I had came; I was free, and dey should be free also; I would make a home for dem in de North, and de Lord helping me, I would bring dem dere. Oh, how I prayed den, lying all alone on de cold, damp ground; "Oh, dear Lord," I said, "I haint got no friend but you. Come to my help, Lord, for I'm in trouble!" (Bradford 17-18)

And she prayed all day long. Her prayers were conversations with God. It wasn't what you would consider a typical prayer where you sit/kneel and prayed with your eyes closed and arms folded, but she talked with God all day long as she worked and as she walked. She told Him everything that was on her mind and He always guided her. She never would doubt His hand in her life. She had complete faith, even a knowledge, that she would not die until it was her time. She always expected God to help her and give her answers to prayers. That is a great faith that I strive to have and hope to develop.

But I not only admire her for her faith, but her drive to do good. To take care of others. She not only helped people to freedom while her own life was on the line, but she took care of soldiers and scouted for them all without pay. She just always did the right thing. She never asked for anything in return. She got a prompting to do something and did it. I drag my feet so often when I should be doing other things, and this woman, who surely suffered more than I ever have, never complained and just went to work. I want to be like that. I don't want to make excuses. I want my daughters to do good things, to have integrity and charity like Harriet Tubman.

Quotes and information are from "Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People" by Sarah Bradford

No comments:

Post a Comment