Monday, June 18, 2012

The Impact of Example


It is my dream to be the best example to those around me so that they will know just by my actions and my countenance that I am a Latter-day Saint. Here are a few of my thoughts about being an example

Servants of the Lord are required to be faithful. The apostles are selected to be examples. Being an example applies to more than just the apostles though. It is important for everyone to be an example of the Lord. We, when we were baptized, took on his name and made a promise that we would be witnesses at all times and in all things and in all places. To be a witness is being an example. I just think about how it is my responsibility to be an example to my children. I am the one that will be with them all the time. I want my children to be able to say as the sons of Helaman said about their mothers; “we do not doubt our mother’s knew it.”

A lot of what we do is observed by others and our actions explain who we are. I think about little children, once again, and for example how that child could be playing with blocks in the living room minder her own business and then you walk in and stub your toe and say a naughty word and go back to your business. The next day the child is saying that naughty word. She learned by example. I think it is difficult to teach someone something and then you yourself do a different; like a hypocrite. It’s a good way to lead away many people. I think if someone isn’t acting the way they say they believe then that someone doesn’t actually believe what they say they believe. This reminds me of the account read in Alma 39:11-12.

In 3 Nephi 8:1 we read that a just man can work miracles in the name of Christ. A just man is honest and an example. We reap great blessings from being an honest example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment