Sunday, June 9, 2013

12:01 and News Lately

Dear World,

As it is 12:01AM, it has officially been one month since I wrote last. I apologize for the missed weeks, but I promise it was for good reason.

1. My sister-in-law, Anna, got married May 25th in Portland, OR. I used to want to get married in the Portland temple, but LA was really my home. In any case, the wedding was beautiful--the sealing. Marcus and I sat directly behind Anna and her fiance while the sealer was talking to them so it was like he was talking to us. It really reminded us of the day we got married..the day we began our eternal family 2 and a half years ago. Wow. He said fabulous things like "sometimes when we kneel at the alter one spouse ends up reaching further than the other. It is important to know that in life this will be true, too." I feel like this sometimes. Marcus will be reaching further to lift me up, and other times I will be reaching further to lift him up. It is amazing to have an eternal companion that cares always and that sees my flaws and loves me anyway. We are a team and we work together to make our lives better and happier. I imagine that this is what joy feels like; never having doubt that the other will leave and to be truly happy--so happy that it fills my stomach, veins, chest, and even nose with a contagious energy that just wants to burst out my ears. 

2. Marcus and I just watched House at the End of the Street with Jennifer Lawrence. It definitely has a twist ending. *spoiler alert* Ryan, played by Max Theriot (sp?) the son in the movie The Pacifier, turns out to be the evil one. His sister is not even alive. He was abused as a child and freaked out and killed his parents and then had to kidnap girls that could play the role of his sister so that he could play his role as Ryan. This was because his parents made him act the role of his sister after she died from falling off a swingset. They were druggies and terrible parents. Simply put, he could not be Ryan unless there was someone else to be his sister. Anyhoo, Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) moved in next door and had a little vibe with Ryan, but she finds out that he is a creepo a little too late and so she ends up shooting him with the cops gun, who had been previously murdered by Ryan. It's complicated. Ryan ends up killing about ten people and who knows how many girls he had play his sister's role? All in all, I liked the movie, but probably will never watch it again. I just really like Jennifer Lawrence. 

3. I took the PRAXIS again last Saturday. I am sure I did good enough to pass, but I really need to brush up on my literacy skills. I passed the other two PRAXIS tests I had to take, but unfortunately I took one of the wrong ones. Sad day. In any case, that testing is over as is my Senior Practicum aka Kindergarten Practicum aka ED427. Hallelujah. It was quite stressful having to go to the kindergarten every other day. I LOVED thee children though. I miss them! They're in Kindergarten, right? Well, the other day I heard a girl tell a boy that she didn't like him but that her friend did. It was silly. And so the chasing begins. Young love. 

4. We got a dog. His name is Sampson and he is an 18 month old up to date on shots and neutered Pug Australian Shepherd mix. We love him! He does not have a squished in face like a pug and I have only heard him bark once...at a horse...and he growled once when he saw himself in the mirror. Madeline loves him and they will have fun growing up together. Sampson knows one command for sure; "sit." I think we need to train him to do other things, but he is already housebroken which is awesome!

5. We are moving into our new home on Saturday. It is a bigger place than we have now and we will have our dog with us, he is at a boarding house for now, and a park right across the street. On the downside: I will miss our ward so much! AND the rent at the new place is higher, but it is bigger so...you get what you get. On the upside: There will be so much space! We can have a dog! It is across the street from Porter Park! All good things there!

6. I have made a goal for myself--I don't know if I should call it that since I have a habit of not finishing goals--to go to the temple weekly by myself. Since my Practicum has finished my MWF are suddenly free. At the beginning of the semester the Lord said to me in a blessing from my husband that I needed to attend the temple more often and I would find great peace there. So, I plan on going on Friday mornings around 9. Madeline will stay with the fabulous lady who inspired me to go. When I told Marcus of my plans he was happy but also disappointed that he wouldn't be able to come with me. My plan is to do initiatories because I love hearing about my divine gifts as a daughter of God. Plus, I think it will way help with my self esteem because I have been feeling blue from time-to-time. I have gifts that are hard for people to recognize; not like singing, dancing, drawing, remembering life events (even small ridiuclous things) or being really crafty. I have always been mediocre at those types of things. I want to be great, but it's just not in me. My gifts are more like for remembering people's names, and wanting to make new friends and make people happy. Those are good gifts, but I want more. I pray for more. That sounds selfish, but I want to be someone that people can appreciate. 

Quotes of the day: "Simply do what you can do, in the best way you know, and the Lord will accept of your effort." AND "You rock a sobbing child without wondering if today’s world is passing you by, because you know you hold tomorrow tightly in your arms." 

Thanks for checking in! Feel free to leave a comment :)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Jennifer Lawrence, too. She's probably my favorite actress. Besides Amanda Seyfried. I really like her, too. I haven't seen "The House at the End of the Street," but I can't really handle movies about people hurting other people so I hadn't planned on watching it. Also, I had a hard time with Jennifer Lawrence as the damsel in distress, although she ends up killing the creepy dude. She is Katniss! She can fight and protect herself really well. Which is one of the reasons I like her so much.

    And I can't wait to see the pictures of Maddy and Sampson playing together. :) That will be cute.

    That's funny, the lesson I am giving in Young Women's next week is about spiritual gifts. I wonder about my gifts, too. I hope that I have some, although I think it's hard to see our own gifts. Christiana, I think that you generally are able to have a happy attitude. You make other people happy very easily. You are also really good at making people feel comfortable, where ever you are. You are really funny. You are good at recognizing and embracing truth. Those are the gifts I think you have. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Racheal. :) I appreciate you recognizing those gifts! Do you ever feel like a different person than you were when you first got married?

    ReplyDelete