Friday, July 15, 2011

Temple Inspiration and Interview Tips

Guess what! I got the job at Kmart!

They called me the afternoon the same day of my interview to tell me. Their exact words: "we are very interested in hiring you if you are still interested in the job." Woo! That was probably one of the easiest times I've had getting a job. I totally wasn't expecting it!

Here's how it began:

Marcus and I went to the temple on Tuesday night. We missed the last endowment session so we went and did sealings  instead. After, the sealer encouraged us all to get ice cream. Marcus had a coupon for a free frosty at Wendy's so that's where we went. The thing about Wendy's is it is across from Walmart in Rexburg and you pass a lot of other stores to get there, Kmart included. After we got the frosty I was inspired to go to Kmart. I just wanted to look around and see what exactly Kmart was like.

If he could have, Marcus would have stayed in the boy toy section forever! He is a man, but there's still a little boy in there. My husband is adorable.

So we spent half an hour walking around when the PA maid an announcement,
"the store will be closing in 15 minutes, please make final purchases in the front of the store." 
We started making our way to the front when we passed a girl that worked there. I felt inspired, once again, to ask if they were hiring. She explained to me that a few girls were quitting and that they would be hiring this week. She told me to fill out an online application and then to call the next morning to set up an interview time. So I filled out an app that night and called the next morning.

Erik, the hiring manager, set up an interview for the next day.

I arrived fifteen minutes early and was very happy to be there. I started a good conversation with the girl at the front desk, Karli. She was a happy and laid back girl. She told me all about the drama in her other work location. I was glad that she compared it to working at Kmart, because she really likes working at this store better.

Great

I went in for my interview and nailed it! I could tell it was a great interview when one of the interviewers loved my comment about how one of my pet peeves is when hangers are facing the wrong direction. She loved it!

Later in the afternoon Erik called me back and asked if I would join the team, and I of course said "yes." I will be filling out paperwork today and start next week!

One of the biggest most obvious temple blessings yet!

So, I can testify that if you attend the temple Heavenly Father will bless you in whatever way you are looking for...or even whatever way you're not looking for!

Also, knowing how to interview is a plus.

Tips For Interviewing (Trust me, I've had several interviews in my lifetime.)
1. Be your best self
2. Make sure they know that you are full of integrity
3. Make sure to represent what is good for the company by explaining that you work hard and learn quickly
4. Try to keep eye contact
5. Hold yourself with confidence--don't keep your arms folded, have your wrists show in some way because it represents openness, and employers like that.
6. Smile a lot, but not in a freaky way
7. Answer their questions honestly
8. Make sure you have a few questions for them about there store atmosphere and the work environment
9. Try to get the feel of the store from the employees point of view too, to make sure you even want to work there
10. Try your very best not to be shy. If someone else is interviewing at the same time and they are showing a lot more personality, they are more likely to be hired because people want to work with other friendly people; shyness is almost the opposite of friendly.

Marcus and I are happy for the semester to finally be ending! We made it through our first school semester as a married couple! You can make your congratulations in comment form below! :)

We love you all!

3 comments:

  1. lol. Christiana, I LOVE how you told us to congratulate you on your great first school semester as a married couple with Marcus! I want to congratulate you on getting a JOB!!! (Now just stick with it for a while.) Also.... I think it's funny as I type this, Enya is playing. Lilly is kicking my ribs and punching my pelvic bone to the beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christiana, you are hilarious. Your answer to their pet peeve question was genius. I would have a hard time coming up with a pet peeve that they actually LIKED. But you did. haha.

    And Jacob would stay in the toy section forever, too..

    "6. Smile a lot, but not in a freaky way" Okay, that is hilarious because I immediately got the picture of you smiling in a freaky way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad Lily likes my taste in music, we will have a good relationship, her and I! :)

    They actually did not ask what my pet peeves were.
    What happened was she asked what was my least favorite thing about working at Ross, and I said when people hang the hangers in the wrong direction. She feels the same way. haha. I am blessed. Now, Once Marcus gets a job we will be set! Next semester will be wonderful!
    And, I am glad I could make you laugh. haha. That is my favorite.
    Love you both very much!!

    ReplyDelete