Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Bed Rest Stress

Let me begin by saying how I got into this situation of being on bed rest. On Saturday I went to the bathroom after waking up in the morning and when I wiped there was bright red blood on the toilet paper. I was NOT expecting that. I had also been having some pretty bad dull back pain in my lower back. I called my doctors which were out of the office so it automatically sent my call to the on-call nurse who told me to get my fanny to the hospital. When I got there they hooked me up to monitors which showed that the baby's heartbeat was perfect, but that I was having some regular contractions. After a few hours at the hospital and after they checked me--super uncomfortable--my contractions slowed down to almost a complete stop. 

They sent me home after making an appointment with my doctor to see me on Wednesday putting me on strict bed rest until then. I was back in the hospital the next morning with contractions having tried drinking water and taking a warm bath. No such luck for me. They kept me for the day and administered Terbutalin which stops labor. After an hour of monitoring me on the "terb" they sent me home. I was back in the hospital the following night with contractions. They did not really do anything that night except monitor me. It was a little frustrating because it seemed that the nurse did not believe me. She said "you know, sometimes what we think are contractions are really just lower back pain from having more weight up front, plus the curvature on your spine." I was like "girl, I have experienced contractions before, and they wouldn't have given my "terb" yesterday if I hadn't been having contractions." Whatev. I went home that night since they wouldn't keep me over night, and stayed home Tuesday night since I knew they would probably just send me home and I had a rough night sleep. Tossing. Turning. 

Well, my doctor's appointment was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. Today. So, when I went in they checked me again and I was 1cm dilated. I had been sitting on bed rest..doing nothing. I was doing nothing and my body STILL decides to dilate. They hooked me up to the same monitors they hooked me up to in the hospital. They saw some contractions and since I told them I could feel the contractions when they were seeing them on the monitor (which was not facing me) they decided to do an ultrasound to check the status of my cervix (is it thinning). They saw that it was thinning and also that baby girl is in the head down position ready to exit. Silly girl. I'm not letting her out any time soon! Now they have me on bed rest until April 21st when I reach 34 weeks and some pills I have to take twice a day. 

It is going to be a long six weeks.

They want to see me once a week plus I get some extra ultrasounds. 

I have been stressed about student teaching. Will I actually graduate? Will I get my diploma? It is only one month away. How could this happen one month away from my goal?! Whatever the reason, the school will figure out what they need to do with me so that I can pass. My faculty mentor told me not to think about student teaching right now--to focus on my family, my daughter, and my pregnancy. He was so kind and I cried. I just needed this little grace, and now I feel like I have everyone's support. Now my only problem is...what am I going to do on bed rest  for six weeks? 

No comments:

Post a Comment