Thursday, October 11, 2012

Learn to Dance in the Rain

Tonight Marcus told me he would never in eternity like nor participate in dance. This tore my heart to pieces. Dancing has been a huge part of who I am basically my whole life! I am not a competitive dancer and have never taken dance classes--except those oh-so-fun middle school days where the girls were still taller than the boys. I just find it the best way to let go of all my busyness of mind, to have fun, and to get a little tone on my muscles. Ever since I could remember it has been my escape from reality when reality seemed to really suck, or it was part of my reality when I was having a blast with my girls (trying to pick up guys). It's just crazy because he hates it as much as I love it... so how do we compromise... or rather... how do I get him to love it? *deep thoughts* There may not be a way. But he told me he would come and watch me while he does homework and watches Monkey. -sigh- I just feel so heartbroken! I didn't think this was possible after marriage! The ironic thing about this is... he loves watching America's Best Dance Crew, and he used to watch So You Think You Can Dance, but a lot of their dancing has become super sensual. It makes me uncomfortable to watch.
This is how I feel when I dance. 

This is also how I feel... 
This is probably how I look while dancing! :)
"Why do we dance? Although each person’s reasons might be different, many people admit that dancing gives them access to their hidden truths. One might enthusiastically welcome an invitation to a dance party as an opportunity for letting loose, releasing tension and discovering a joyous feeling, seemingly part of our natural selves, but lost to us in our daily hectic lives. Dance is also popularly used by dance therapists to navigate very deep trauma, in order to free the victim of it. Dance can help us hook up to the true genius lurking behind the cover-up of social convention that can sometimes prevent us from connecting to certain aspects of the self.
Though dance can be done in silence, it is typically done to a beat. Music gives a mood and vibration that we can feel in our bodies. Almost inevitably, we start moving. For most people, it is simply intuitive." -Yolessa K. Lawrinnce

No comments:

Post a Comment